Release of Mortgage

Documentation and the Release of Mortgage Form: Your Vessel Free & Clear

Do you want to secure financing for your vessel? Does it seem like the right thing to do, for your finances, your vessel, and your future, is to get a ship’s mortgage? People all over avail themselves of this option. It’s a great way to get the vessel you want while also being able to live your life, too. That said, as you might imagine, there’s plenty of paperwork that goes into this. Here at our U. S. Vessel Documentation Online site, you can find everything you need to get a mortgage for your vessel and satisfy it with the Release of Mortgage form and more.  

The Initial Documentation 

“Wait,” you might be thinking, “I want to get a mortgage for my vessel, I’m not really interested in documenting it right now.” Actually, the first step towards getting a mortgage for your vessel is to document it. Indeed, a strong majority of banks won’t lend to you until you have your vessel documented. As with all of the forms that we’ll discuss in this blog, you’ll be able to find these at our site. In fact, “Initial” is the top form on our site, the most visible. Start there, and you can get the ball rolling, so to speak. 

Preferred Ship’s Mortgage 

This is a rather fancy name for a form that basically means “mortgage application.” The thing to know about this form is that this mortgage can’t be recorded against a vessel unless the vessel has a valid Certificate of Documentation on file. Or, alternatively, you can file for one of these if the application for your Certificate of Documentation is on file with the proper authorities. Something to keep in mind here: “valid” means “valid.” So, if you had a Certificate of Documentation and you let it expire, or your Certificate of Registration has been lost or otherwise mutilated, that’s not good enough. It needs to be valid to take advantage of this. 

Satisfaction and Release of Mortgage 

An old boating cliche: “the two happiest days in a vessel owner’s life are when they buy their vessel and when they sell it.” We’ll add a third: when you pay off your mortgage. Once you’ve done so, you can file a “Satisfaction/Release” form at our site. That said, bear in mind: just because you’ve filed this form doesn’t mean that it’s legally binding. We’re happy to answer the questions you might have. 

The Forms You’ll Need for the Journey Ahead 

The above explains the journey towards getting a mortgage and paying it off. However, those are just a few of the forms that we offer at our site. We also make it easy to update your address, get a MARAD small vessel waiver, reinstate your expired registration, and so much more. The truth is that we can never know what’s ahead of us on the water or in life. One thing we can guarantee: you’ll find all of the forms you need right here at our U. S. Vessel Documentation Online site.