Vessel documentation is a national form of registration. It is one of the oldest functions of Government, dating back to the 11th Act of the First Congress. Documentation provides conclusive evidence of nationality for international purposes, provides for unhindered commerce between the states, and admits vessels to certain restricted trades, such as coastwise trade and the fisheries. Since 1920, vessel financing has been enhanced through the availability of preferred mortgages on documented vessels. For more information, on how to do a Vessel Documentation Search Visit:
Read More
A vessel must measure at least five net tons and, with the exception of certain oil spill response vessels, must be wholly owned by a citizen of the U.S. For more information on a specific vessel, you can always perform a vessel documentation search.
Read More
Vessels of five net tons or more used in fishing activities on navigable waters of the U.S. or in the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ), or used in coastwise trade must be documented unless the vessel is exempt from the documentation. The easiest way to get the documentation process started is by performing a vessel documentation search. Coastwise trade is generally defined as the transportation of merchandise or passengers between points in the U.S. or the EEZ. In addition, towboats operating between points in the U.S. or the EEZ or between the EEZ and points in the U.S. and dredges operating in the U.S. or the EEZ must be documented.
Net tonnage is a measure of a vessel’s volume. It should not be confused with the vessel’s weight, which may also be expressed in tons. Most vessels more than 25 feet in length will measure five net tons or more. For information about how tonnage is determined, including a web-based interactive form that calculates tonnages, send us an email, and we`ll be happy to help
Vessels that do not operate on the navigable waters of the U.S. or in the fisheries in the EEZ, are exempt from the requirement to be documented. Also exempt are Coastwise qualified, non-self-propelled vessels used in coastwise trade within a harbor, on the rivers or lakes (except the Great Lakes) of the U.S., or the internal waters or canal of any state.
Vessels that do not operate on the navigable waters of the U.S. or in the fisheries in the EEZ, are exempt from the requirement to be documented. Also exempt are Coastwise qualified, non-self-propelled vessels used in coastwise trade within a harbor, on the rivers or lakes (except the Great Lakes) of the U.S., or the internal waters or canal of any state. Yes. A Certificate of Documentation may be endorsed for the fishery, coastwise, registry, or recreation. Any documented vessel may be used for recreational purposes, regardless of its endorsement, but a vessel documented with a recreational endorsement only may not be used for any other purpose. Registry endorsements are generally used for foreign trade.
The basic requirements for documentation are to demonstrate ownership of the vessel, U.S. citizenship, and eligibility for the endorsement sought.
If the vessel is new and has never been documented, ownership may be established by submission of a Builder’s Certification (Form CG-1261), naming the applicant for documentation as the person for whom the vessel was built or to whom the vessel was first transferred. Also acceptable are a transfer on a Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin, a copy of the State Registration or Title, or foreign registration showing that the applicant owns the vessel. In the case of a previously owned vessel, the applicant must present bills of sale, or other evidence showing the transfer of the vessel from the person who last documented, titled, or registered the vessel, or to whom the vessel was transferred on a Builder’s Certification or Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin. If the title was transferred by some means other than a bill of sale, contact the NVDC for assistance.
Citizenship is established by completion of form CG-1258. In addition to individuals, corporations, partnerships, and other entities capable of holding the legal title may be deemed citizens for documentation purposes. Corporations must be registered in a state or the U.S; the chief executive officer and chairman of the board of directors must be U.S. citizens, and no more than a minority of the number of directors necessary to constitute a quorum may be non-citizens. In addition, at least 75% of the stock must be vested in U.S. citizens for a coastwise or fisheries endorsement.
Evidence that a vessel was built in the U.S. is required for a vessel that is to be used in the fisheries or coastwise trade. Build evidence is normally established by submitting a Builder’s Certification on form CG-1261. That form must be completed by the person who constructed or oversaw the construction of the vessel or an official of the company that built the vessel who has examined the records of the company to determine the facts of the build. The Original Builder’s Certification or Facts of Build Letter must be presented with your submission. A copy will NOT be accepted.
Documented vessels do not display their official numbers on the outside of the hull, but are identified by the name and hailing port. The application for documentation must include a name for the vessel composed of letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals and may not exceed 33 characters. The name may not be identical, actually or phonetically, to any word or words used to solicit assistance at sea; may not contain or be phonetically identical to obscene, indecent, or profane language, or to racial or ethnic epithets. Once established, a vessel’s name may not be changed without application, fees, and the consent of the Director, National Vessel Documentation Center. There is no rule against duplication of names for documented vessels, so hailing ports are helpful in identifying vessels.
Vessels that do not operate on the navigable waters of the U.S. or in the fisheries in the EEZ, are exempt from the requirement to be documented. Also exempt are Coastwise qualified, non-self-propelled vessels used in coastwise trade within a harbor, on the rivers or lakes (except the Great Lakes) of the U.S., or the internal waters or canal of any state.Yes. A Certificate of Documentation may be endorsed for the fishery, coastwise, registry, or recreation. Any documented vessel may be used for recreational purposes, regardless of its endorsement, but a vessel documented with a recreational endorsement only may not be used for any other purpose. Registry endorsements are generally used for foreign trade.
The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded by the abbreviation “NO.” must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area. The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The “hailing port” must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.
The name and/or hailing port may be changed by filing an application for change on form CG-1258 with the appropriate fees. If your vessel is subject to a mortgage of record, you must obtain permission from the mortgagee on form CG-4593.
Many vessels have more than one owner. To make sure that the right person gets mail concerning the vessel, one must be designated as the managing owner.
A preferred mortgage is a mortgage that is given status as a maritime lien. As such it enjoys a certain priority in the event of default. In addition, the Coast Guard is prohibited from making certain changes in documentation including, but not limited to, change of vessel ownership, name, and hailing port without consent of the mortgagee. For this reason, many financial institutions require vessels that are eligible for documentation to be documented and to have preferred mortgages recorded against them.
Simply fill out our online forms here on this secure website, and the forms will automatically be forwarded to our Documentation Processor for the review! A good portion of our clients has made attempts at the documents themselves, only to be rejected by the USCG 6 months later. Call us today to get more information.
In most instances, you may submit your application by fax or as a .pdf attachment to the e-mail, provided you pay your fees with a major credit card. This includes applications accompanied by bills of sale, mortgages, and satisfactions of mortgages. Among the exceptions are cases where an original is required, such as a builder’s certification, a certified copy of a court order, certificate of merger, or similar instrument is required.
You may obtain an Abstract of Title which will show all bills of sale, mortgages, and notices of claim of lien filed and recorded by the Coast Guard. You may request the Abstract by fax if you pay by credit card or may mail your request with the appropriate fee to the NVDC. To get accurate information you must supply the name and the official number of the vessel.
No, all documented vessels must comply with the laws of the state in which they are operated. The vessel’s document must be shown to state law enforcement personnel upon their demand. States may require documented vessels to be registered (but not numbered) and to display state decals showing that they have complied with state requirements.
Documentation of your vessel does not cover the vessel’s tender or dinghy. These crafts fall within the jurisdiction of the motorboat numbering laws of the state of principal use. Please contact your state agency that handles the registration or numbering of motorboats for further information.
When the sale is finalized you may complete a U.S. Coast Guard Bill of Sale (CG-1340) or complete the “Sale or Transfer of Vessel” section on the reverse of the Certificate of Documentation (CG-1270). Documentation forms, fee schedules, and instructions are available for downloading on this web site. If there is an outstanding mortgage, the mortgagee ( lender) should complete a Satisfaction of Mortgage. The vessel cannot be removed from documentation with an outstanding mortgage.
A Certificate of Documentation is valid for one year from the date of issue, providing there are NO CHANGES other than a change of owner’s address. The Certificate must be renewed on an annual basis. Even though it is up to the owner to assure the document does not expire, the Coast Guard will send a Notice of Renewal to the managing owner approximately 45 days prior to expiration. See the instruction letter Renewal of Certificate of Documentation elsewhere at this site regarding renewal procedures.
NO. An Application for Replacement (CG-1258) must be filed along with a $50.00 fee. If the lost document has already expired it must be exchanged. The fee would then be $84.00 plus applicable endorsement fees.
NO, simply sign, date, and return the Renewal Notice even if your address has changed. Please note the address change. You will receive a new certificate that shows your new address.
YES. The Renewal Form is available on this website. It may be downloaded from the Forms Menu. BE SURE TO CITE THE VESSEL’S OFFICIAL NUMBER.
You may submit your change of address by filling out our online Change of Address form conveniently available through this secure website or at the time of renewal of your Certificate of Documentation you can annotate the new address in the renewal application. You may submit your Change of Address application by navigating to the following page: Change of Address You may submit your Renewal application by navigating to the following link:
Read More
See Instructions Page on our website for details.
The “Merchant Vessels of the United States” (CG 408) lists the names of U.S. merchant and recreational vessels documented under the laws of the United States. It provides vessel dimensions, tonnage, builds (if available), and ownership information. The last printed version was in 1994. This information is now available in an electronic format (CD ROM) through National Technical Information Services (NTIS), 5285 Port Royal Road, Springfield, VA 22161. You can order the latest edition of Vol. 99-001 at a cost of $145.00 plus shipping and handling.
Read More
To be eligible for a small vessel waiver program, your vessel must be owned by an American citizen or organization, only used to carry passengers, only used to carry a maximum of 12 passengers when in operation, and be at least three years old. To apply for a MARAD Waiver, use this link
Requests for faxing of Certificates of Documentation, Letters of Deletion, Certificates of Ownership, and recorded instruments such as Preferred Mortgages, Bills of Sale, Notices of Claim of Lien, and Satisfactions of Mortgage in combination to mailing will require an additional Certified Copy fee of $4.00 for each item.
Printed copies of all the regulations may be obtained via the internet from the U.S. government bookstore at: https://bookstore.gpo.gov/ or by calling (202) 512-1800 between 7:30 am and 4:30 pm EST or fax at (202) 512-2250. For any further questions regarding vessel documentation search, please call us at 800-340-7580.
Canadian vessel documentation, as you might be aware, is the certification that you receive upon registering your vessel with the respective government transportation agency. In the case of Canada, these are registered with Transport Canada, which oversees both personal and business vehicles owned by Canadian citizens and residents. This includes vessels such as boats, ships, and yachts, all of which had regulations attached to them to some degree or another. These specific guidelines are all outlined in the Canada Shipping Act, 2001. Due to the usual complications attached to navigating these official regulations, we have established a reliable information network to make the process of Canadian vessel documentation easier for you.
Vessels here need specific Canadian vessel documentation in order to operate in national waters, similarly to how you need to have your car’s documents in order if you wish to drive it. However, not every vessel requires documentation. According to the regulations set forth by Transport Canada, commercial vessels need to be registered with them in order to be allowed to operate accordingly. Commercial vessels include: Commercial fishing boats Fish processing vessels Freight ships Industrial vessels Mobile offshore drilling units Oil recovery boats Offshore supply vessels Passenger boats Passenger barges Public freight vessels Public tankships/barges Public vessels Research vessels School ships Tank barges Tank ships Towing vessels If your boat can be categorised above, you will need to get Canadian vessel registration with Transport Canada
The short answer is yes, if used for one of the commercial purposes outlined above, as well as other eligible ones, your vessel must have official documentation for a Canadian vessel with Transport Canada documentation. However, if you have a recreational vessel, then it doesn’t necessarily need to be registered. Instead, you can get a pleasure craft licence, which is a different process altogether. The forms for either process can be found here on our website.
Net tonnage is a measure of a vessel’s volume, which should not be confused with the vessel’s weight, which may also be expressed in tons. While you should be able to access this data in the manufacturer’s information or through a gross tonnage calculator, you can also calculate an estimate yourself. A helpful rule of thumb is that most vessels that measure more than 25 feet in length will measure at least five net tons or more.
Exempt vessels, which aren’t required to get documentation, are those that are not used for commercial purposes. This applies to vessels of all sizes. A lot of people think that if a certain commercial vessel falls under a certain gross tonnage, then it doesn’t have to be registered. However, this isn’t quite right. There is a specific type of registration meant for small vessels, which you can find under the respective category here on the National Vessel Registry Center Corp website. If your vessel is used for leisure purposes, then it doesn’t have to be registered. In those cases, you can look instead into the pleasure craft licence process.
Yes, there are different types of documentation that are reliant on the specific type of vessel in question. For commercial vessels, you have regular vessel documentation and small vessel documentation, depending, of course, on the size of the boat in question. If the vessel is not used for commercial purposes, then you don’t have to register it but you might want to get the corresponding pleasure craft license. Our team can help you with either application.
The first requirement when it comes to registering a vessel is a name. Giving a vessel a name is something that might end up seeming trivial or even silly. However, the vessel’s name is for its standing before the government to be properly filed and documented under a definite entity. No two vessels, however, can have the same name, which is why part of the application process will be proving three different names in case one of them is taken. Once you’ve got that covered, you will have to provide thorough information about the vessel itself, such as its measurements, tonnage, and engine specs. This step might seem like a lot of work given all the different highly specific information that you will need to provide, but it doesn’t have to be that complex. Most of these key pieces of information about the vessel will be factory specifications that you will most likely have easy access to. If you have questions about some of the data asked for in the registration form, you can contact your vessel’s manufacturer.
Establishing ownership of a vessel is not a difficult task, but it does call for some attention to detail in regards to getting the right documents in order. You can either establish ownership with the bill of sale made to your name or, in the case of custom-made vessels, a letter from the manufacturer. Either one of these should be enough to prove ownership when submitting registration to Transport Canada.
Citizenship is established by verifying the applicant’s national identification. This applies to individuals, but also to corporations, partnerships, and other entities capable of holding legal title may be deemed citizens for documentation purposes. Corporations must be registered in a province or Canada in order for their vessels to be registered here.
With certain vessels that were not purchased from a retailer but rather manufactured on commission or self-built by the registering entity, it will be necessary that, in lieu of a bill of sale, build evidence is provided to account for the vessel in question. A document from the manufacturer that states the details of the build order and purchase, the stats of the vessel, and other relevant information, will be key in the registration process.
Both the vessel name and its hailing port need to be properly displayed on the exterior part of the hull in order for it to be easily seen by both authorities and portuary employees. This is to ensure easy identification, documentation, and similar Transport Canada needs.
Once you have your vessel registration, it will be time to mark it accordingly. The Canada Shipping Act of 2001 details that boats need to be labelled according to certain guidelines. You will have to mark the vessel with its name and port of registry on the exterior part of the hull in a way that makes both things easily visible and legible. In the case of commercial vessels, the name must be marked on each bow, and the port of registry and name must be marked on the stern. Remember that the information must always be clearly visible and permanently affixed in some manner.
If you are changing either the name, the hailing port, or the address of your vessel, you will have to submit the corresponding form to us via our website. If you need to change either the name or the hailing port, the same form will suffice. Be sure to only change the information you intend to change if you’re only modifying either piece of information and not the other.
All forms necessary to submit documentation to Transport Canada are available here on our platform for your convenience. All you need to do is fill out the forms you need, attach the relevant files, and pay the application fee. You can take care of all the documentation paperwork without leaving our website.
No, not at all. It used to be the case that applications for the Canadian Vessel Registry had to be physically mailed. However, we at the National Vessel Registry Center Corp have made it so that you can submit your application online via our secure platform. Just fill out the corresponding application form, attach the relevant documents, and pay for the processing fee. That’s how easy it is.
The registry has a boat history check database that can be accessed, but it’s not as easy as simply putting in a serial number on a query bar. You will need to submit a request for transcripts in order to receive the title information associated with this particular serial number. This includes all the relevant information about the vessel throughout current and previous ownerships, as well as potential debts, mortgages, and financial issues that may be attached to it.
A certification of documentation will be valid for three years from the date of registration. Thirty days before the expiration date, you will receive a notice for renewal that you will have to submit and update if necessary. Be sure to submit it with enough time for the renewal to be processed before the expiration date.
If you lost your certificate of documentation, then you will need to request an official replacement from Transport Canada. This is very important, since without an official copy of your registration, you can’t operate your vessel in Canadian waters. If you’d like to avoid this, use the replacement form here on our website to request your replacement. Within a few weeks, you should receive a new certificate that gets you on your way. However, if what you need to do is renew a certificate that has expired, then you won’t need a replacement but rather a renewal, which is a different process altogether.
No, there is no reason for you to send back the old certificate when renewing it. In fact, you shouldn’t do this, since you don’t want to be without an official certificate, even if it’s just for a few days. Simply submit the forms for your Transport Canada pleasure craft licence renewal or your vessel registration renewal with the corresponding material. Keep the original certificate at hand for future reference.
No, the schedule is very specific for renewal of vessel documentation. You need to submit the renewal form after you receive the notification with the corresponding paperwork. Remember you have to return this within thirty days ahead of the expiration date so that the process is in order prior to this.
If you need to notify Transport Canada of a change of address in your registration, whether or not this also includes a hailing port change, you will need to submit the corresponding form, which you can easily do through our website. Be sure to only change the relevant information and to keep everything else intact in order to not create any confusions with the paperwork.
If you are in a hurry in regards to your documentation processing, don’t worry. You can expedite the process and request priority handling in order to rush it and get it sooner than usual. Still, try to give yourself some time to buffer the process because even the rush processing of priority handling can’t do miracles.
Our processing service solely operates online, so you can submit all your paperwork through our website for your own convenience. You will need to fill out the forms on our site and then, before processing and paying for it, you will get to easily upload all the other relevant paperwork and documentation that supplements your application.
No, we currently don’t offer a walk in service. However, we are always available for you online or by phone. You may submit your registry application(s) using our secure online portal, or you may reach us at 1 (800) 419-9569 if you have any questions. Our team is here to help you make this process easier.
You don’t have to send in credit card information or payment procedures anywhere outside of our platform. In order to pay for the processing fee, you will be required to input your credit card information at the end of each form that you submit through the platform. Don’t worry, if you are having difficulties with your credit card, a documentation processor will contact you.
In Canada, all non-pleasure vessels powered by an engine of 10hp (7.5kw) or more and commercial river rafts must be registered with Transport Canada’s Canadian Register of Vessels or Small Vessel Register (Commercial).
The fee is $525. You can pay for the fee after filling out the first time registration form and before submitting it. Our platform is properly secured in order to protect your payment information and easily take care of the fee.
A Certificate of Registry is valid for three (3) years. A Certificate of Registry will be issued to the owner or the authorised representative 30 days before it expires. To ensure that your Certificate of Registry remains valid, you must report any change(s) to the information shown on the Certificate of Registry, including a change of address, in writing, within 30 days of having made the changes. If you do not, your registration may be suspended or cancelled. Anyone operating a vessel with an invalid document violates the Canada Shipping Act, 2001 and is liable to prosecution.
Tonnage is not about the weight. It is a measurement of the vessel’s internal volume. Tonnage refers to the overall volume of a vessel. This information is asked by the registry in order to keep tabs on the capacity of vessels within a specific usage. You should be able to access this data in the manufacturer’s information or through a gross tonnage calculator. However, you can also calculate an estimate yourself. A helpful rule of thumb is that most vessels that measure more than 25 feet in length will measure at least five net tons or more.
For registration purposes, the property in a vessel is made up of 64 indivisible shares. Up to five people may register as joint owners of all 64 shares; and are considered as one unit, although all of their names are listed in the Canadian Register of Vessels.
When the owner of a vessel unfortunately dies, the ownership will need to be officially transferred to whoever it is will take over now. In order to do so, you will need to file a transfer on death. You may do so by navigating to the TRANSFER ON DEATH page here on the National Vessel Registry Center Corp website.
If you’re wondering how to change boat ownership, you’ll be happy to know that it’s actually pretty simple. So, by heading over to the TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP page, you should be able to easily send in the corresponding form and get the transfer in order.
You might think that when you either lose or damage your certificate of registration, you are still entitled to use it since the registry itself still exists in the database. However, that is not true. You will always need an official copy of your certificate of registration in good shape in order to operate your vessel. So, if you have misplaced or damaged your certificate, you will need to replace it. You may request a replacement certificate by navigating to the REPLACEMENT CERTIFICATE page.
“Bare-boat Charter” means a vessel charter agreement under which the character has complete possession and control of the vessel, including the right to appoint its master and crew. Bare-boat Charter (IN) A vessel registered in a foreign country that is bare-boat chartered exclusively to a qualified person may be listed as a bare-boat chartered vessel if, for the duration of the charter, the registration is suspended in respect of the right to fly the flag of that country. You may submit your application by navigating to the BARE-BOAT CHARTERED VESSELS page. Bare-boat Charter (OUT) A vessel registered in Canada applying for bare-boat charter will lose its right to fly the Canadian flag while it remains on the registry of a foreign country as a bare-boat chartered vessel.
Two vessels registered with Transport Canada can’t share the same name, which means that if the one you’re thinking of is already taken, you will have to come up with a new one. The name of a vessel is not available until the Registry is officially closed, so if you are looking to take over a different vessel’s name, you will have to make sure it’s deleted off the registry ahead of time.
The authorized representative has the overall responsibility for safety of the vessel. Even though not always on board, the authorized representative must ensure that the vessel’s machinery and equipment meet the requirements of the Act and Regulations.The authorized representative is also responsible for notifying Vessel Registration should any changes be made to the vessel, including alterations, changes in address or removal from service, as per section 58 of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001.
Vessels (dinghy or zodiac, etc.) that are considered part of the lifesaving equipment of the registered vessel (not used for any purpose other than evacuation) do not have to be registered but should be marked “TENDER TO [NAME AND OFFICIAL NUMBER OF THE REGISTERED VESSEL]”. If it is not part of the lifesaving equipment, then it must either be licensed or registered separately.
A vessel whose number begins with the letter “C” (e.g. C00000BC) is a small commercial vessel, which was either licensed prior to July 1, 2007, or registered as of July 1, 2007 in the Small Vessel Registry.
There are plenty of reasons why one would need to close or delete their vessel registration from the Transport Canada registry. For example, the vessel might have been destroyed or damaged beyond repair, therefore no longer being usable. The owner might also move to different country and take the vessel with them. You may close the registry of your vessel by navigating to the DELETION page. By filling out and submitting this form, you will successfully remove your vessel registration from the Canadian Vessel Registry and
A Certificate of Registry should not be laminated. For some authorities, laminating a certificate would invalidate it as an official document. Once a documenta has been laminated, it is no longer available for definitive review to determine its validity or authenticity. It is recommended to keep the Certificate in a plastic bag, pouch, etc. to protect it from potential water damage or other maiming.
A mortgage is a legal document that creates a security for a loan or other financial consideration, whereby the registered vessel or share or a share of it is used as security. The person using the vessel as security and receiving the loan is called the mortgagor. The person taking the vessel as security and usually giving the loan is called the mortgagee.Only vessels registered in the Canadian Registry of Vessels can have mortgages recorded against them.
Registration is a title system for vessel ownership. It is similar to a land title registry. Registration allows for name approval and mortgage registration except in the case of a vessel registered in the Small Vessel Register. Vessels under construction: A vessel that is about to be built or that is under construction in Canada may be temporarily recorded in the Register as a vessel being built in Canada. While not required by law, pleasure craft owners may choose to register their vessels.
This registry applies to vessels of all types and sizes including pleasure and commercial. This type of registration is required for: -Vessels more than 15 gross tonnes used for commercial purposes, including government-owned vessels -Vessels that require marine mortgages -If you are planning to travel outside of Canada for extended periods of timeYou may also choose to register your pleasure craft in the Canadian Register of Vessels if you wish to have an approved name and port of registry for your vessel or show proof of ownership.
This registry only applies to commercial (non-pleasure) vessels that are 15 gross tons or less. This type of registration is required for: Vessels less than or equal to 15 gross tonnes used for commercial purposes with propulsion motors of 10 horsepower (7.5kW) or more (if unsure of tonnage, check this explanation of tonnage measurements) commercial river rafts government-owned vessels with propulsion motors of 10 horsepower (7.5kW) or more This type of registration is not required if: Your vessel does not or will not have a mortgage You do not wish to register an “official” name You don’t intend to travel outside of Canada
A pleasure craft is a vessel that is used for recreation and does not carry passengers. It is a vessel of a prescribed class under the Canada Shipping Act, 2001. NOTE: For the purposes of this definition, a “passenger” is a person who has paid a fee to be transported in a commercial vessel. A “guest” does not need to pay a fee.
Yes, if your vessel is over 10 hp and it has not been registered in the Canadian Register of Vessels. A pleasure craft licence provides a unique identification number – commonly referred to as the “licence number” – that you must display on your recreational vessel, as required under the Small Vessel Regulations of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001. This licence number helps law-enforcement and search and rescue officials trace a pleasure craft to its owner.
There is a fine of $250 if you are found to be operating a vessel without a valid licence. However, if you decide to register your vessel instead of licensing it, there is no fine.
No, your vessel may be registered or it may be licensed. However, it cannot be both. If you are operating a commercial vessel, it will need to be registered accordingly. If not, a pleasure craft licence would suffice.
The Pleasure Craft Licence number must be displayed on each side of the bow of your vessel, above the waterline, in block characters that are at least 7.5 centimetres (3 inches) high and in a colour that contrasts with the colour of the bow.
If the vessel was built specifically for the applicant here in Canada, then they must provide the Builder’s Certificate. If they purchased the vessel, they must provide the builder’s certificate and any intervening Bill(s) of Sale demonstrating the complete sequence of title. For a foreign-built vessel, provide either the notarized Bill of Sale from the last foreign owner to you, or if you are not the first Canadian owner, all Bills of Sale showing the sequence of title up to you; as well as Proof of closing the vessel’s foreign registry, free and clear of all encumbrances, with the corresponding “Deletion Certificate”.